23 February 2005

Reading 1: Untimely meditations.

I probably should have started this blog about fifteen years ago so I could get in all the horror and the glory of growing up. Too late, though. So now I'm too old to give my random thoughts on last night's puke in the bushes or the three shows I saw at the Black Cat this week. Maybe I'll give a review of the three shows I saw anywhere at all last year. I can say this: about five months ago I saw Dan Zanes and Friends at National Geographic. My four year old loved it, and so did my wife and I. It beats the living sh--oot out of the wiggles.

Missed him at Strathmore though.

Can't get out to the Wilco shows at 9:30 either. But they'll be streamed on NPR. Seriously, though, where else in DC would Wilco get airplay these days? DC has absolutely no "alternative radio" -- using alternative in the original sense of off-beat and out of the mainstream -- and as for college radio, well it's a travesty that in a metropolitan area that boasts so many universities that none of them have a musical impact on the community. Most of the universities sold or shut down their radio stations years ago. It's been a long time since WHFS ran the "Reggae Splashdown" weekly.

So I'm not going to comment a whole lot on the great bands coming through town or the club scene in general or even on new movies. My movies come mainly from netflix or Pixar; that's life with young children. That being said, here are the last three movies I've watched:
1. 200 Cigarettes
2. Blow Up
3. Mary Poppins (about twelve times over the course of two weeks)

Beginning a blog is a great excuse to avoid writing things you're supposed to be writing. Like dissertations.

No comments: