17 December 2008

And so my friends, the time draws near...

I've been away so long living in my dream world of grading and finalizing and tracking down plagiarism that I've neglected my dear, dear blog. My blog that is scheduled to turn four in February. Four years is nothing. It only took four years for the Bush Regime to sink our country's troops, finances, and future into a costly mistake in Iraq. It only took them four more years (and seriously, I can't figure out how in hell they got those four more years except that the majority of the American voting public are seriously uneducated and lack critical thinking skills...sorry, there it is...don't blame Kerry -- though his campaign was horrible: a block of wood with a face painted on it should have been able to beat Bush in 2004) to destroy our economy through a combination of military largesse (though not to the vets) and nonexistent regulatory oversight.

Talk about a weapon of mass destruction...how about an administration so reckless, so ideologically savage, that they're willing to bring down the economies of their erstwhile allies in the name of their laissez-faire dream?

So it's not surprising that Dick Cheney can look back on his eight years in office and think things have gone remarkably well. No regrets from Dick. The administration doesn't torture, holding people without charges for seven years is the American way, the Iraq Boondoggle was the right thing to do, etc., etc.

The amazing thing is that given the access to information that we all have if we are literate and can get ourselves in front of a computer (and I'm not talking about access to blogs and right or left wing political sites), 29% of people in this country still approve of Bush's job as President. Is that also the same group that makes up the 100% of morons in this country?

Look, I voted for Obama and I already don't approve of the job he's doing filling cabinet posts with Clinton holdovers and corporate lackeys (e.g. proposed Dept. of Ed. Secretary Arne Duncan and mining industry spokesperson Colorado Senator Ken Salazar for Sec. of Int.). I would vote for him again, because even these lackluster appointments are worlds away from the horrifying selections and policies McCain/Palin would offer, but if someone called me and asked if I approved of the job he was doing, I wouldn't say yes. So how stupid or simply blindly loyal to a party can someone be to approve of Bush's job at this point in time? We're talking about a quarter of the U.S. population. Have our schools failed so miserably that 1/4 of voting age adults are functionally illiterate?

The one thing I do approve of is Bush's ability to dodge a shoe. He moved pretty quickly and both those shoes were on target. I don't think Clinton could have gotten out of the way. Obama, sure -- in fact, he might have caught it and tossed it back.

Speaking of Bush, even he is starting to reflect on his time in power as a little less than mistake-free. But not Cheney. After all, he and George made their friends some nice money during their eight years in office.

No comments: