26 May 2005

Back in the Saddle

So the clouds cleared out, the temperature warmed up, and the sun shone down. It was a beautiful morning and I was back on my bike wheeling my son to school.

Then I had to go to work. My logic to my son is this: "Well, I have to go to work, because if I don't go to work, then I don't get paid, and then we have to move." My wife and I both work and neither one of us alone is going to keep us in our current location. It takes us both. So despite how much I'd rather hang out for half a day in my son's classroom and maybe wander through Dupont Circle or cycle down the GeeDub parkway, it isn't going to happen on this Thursday.

I can tell you though that Dupont Circle was heavenly this morning and I took the outer wheel instead of going through the middle and there were very few cars for 9 a.m. and it was all pleasant except for that godawful CVS looming up before me like a dogshit on a freshmown lawn.

Has anyone ever tried to fill a prescription at that CVS on the circle? The lines are generally never ending, with the pharmacy staff appearing about as interested in serving your medical needs as a burger king employee is in taking your order. And after all that, there's a 3 in 5 chance they either won't have the medicine you want, won't have the prescription filled, or won't have the prescription right. I only go to that place as a last resort.

Of course, the CVS was only a passing vision in my commute, and soon enough I got to see the nasty but not garish Front Page and the oh so precious Cloud. However, I didn't even have to dodge cars today, except once on 21st Street, so all was good.

No comments: