22 August 2006

Bamboozled.

I don't know if anyone read the Post piece on the Cropp v. Fenty feud and the campaign literature Cropp's campaign distributed attacking Fenty, but it was an interesting read more for what it didn't say than what it did. Here's a quick Post description of the ad, noting that the person pictured isn't Adrian Fenty:
The brochure paid for by the Cropp campaign shows the back of a man wearing a white shirt with rolled-up sleeves, no visible hair -- Fenty shaves his head -- and a microphone in his hand. "Blind Ambition" reads the text on the cover next to the photo, which resembles the Ward 4 D.C. Council member.

Here's a copy of the printed attack ad (again from the Post website):

Now granted, Fenty is very light-skinned, but I'm willing to bet Cropp used a white model as a stand-in for Fenty, further playing with DC's racial politics by drawing attention to Fenty's mixed race background. The Post makes the fact that Cropp used a stand-in for Fenty a major issue, but never mentions why her campaign might do so, or how the image used may shape perception far beyond the words accompanying the image.

Hello, hasn't anyone read Barthes' Mythologies? In a town that's around 60% African American, it's worth the effort on Cropp's part to not only cast Fenty as the "white man's candidate," but also to cast him as "the white candidate."

As an interesting side note, a letter to the City Paper last Thursday clearly references the colorism within the African American community and in some white -- or mainstream political -- perceptions of the African American community. Leroy Thorpe, who supports Fenty, writes:

On the other hand, Adrian Fenty is, by American standards, a mulatto, which eases the fear in European-Americans. Fenty’s light skin and advanced degrees are acceptable socially to European-Americans; however, Fenty’s loyalty to his African-American fraternity and his frat brother Sinclair Skinner is incomprehensible to European-Americans who think Fenty should act like those
European-American-accepted house Negroes Clarence Thomas, Condoleezza Rice, and Sen. Barack Obama.

The validity of Mr. Thorpe's argument on the qualities of the individuals named is beside the point; all I'm looking to illustrate here is the racially inflected political realities that any DC politician must negotiate, or perhaps take advantage of.

7 comments:

m.a. said...

Yikes. I didn't think that people still used the term "mulatto" with all of its lovely conotations (the whole mule thing). She's invoking a feeling that really makes it difficult for me to respect her at all.

She's invoking the "autheticity" debate which it is complete and utter bullshit. Who is she to question his adherence to or separation from a community that is fractured at best?

Ugh. This just pisses me off. Linda Cropp just sucks.

Asian Mistress said...

Very interesting post Cuff....thanks for pointing that all out!

Washington Cube said...

Cuff on the beat, at his best.

Reya Mellicker said...

It creeps me out. Fenty has been all over Capitol Hill for months, stumping for votes. I saw him so often, finally I decided to try to engage him in some kind of normal conversation. I am easy to talk to and most people, given half a chance, will let down their guard with me, but I never was able to convince Adrian to talk to me as a person. It was straight campaign rhetoric with this guy every time I saw him. I experienced my attempts at normal conversation with him as alienating and disorienting. How to decide who to vote for? I can't figure it out.

Anonymous said...

How anyone can consider voting for Fenty while Sinclair Skinner remains on his staff is beyond me.

Blue Dog Art said...

It is definitely an interesting advertising approach. Glad I'm not voting there, but then again, you don't have the crack political whiz George Allen.

Anonymous said...

"How anyone can consider voting for Fenty while Sinclair Skinner remains on his staff is beyond me."

When I first became aware of Skinner I was convinced that I wouldn't vote for Fenty. When Cropp started attacking Fenty, I was sure that I wouldn't vote for Cropp.

But that leaves me with no one to vote for.

So I think I will vote for Fenty. Skinner will self-destruct eventually.