03 November 2006

The State I'm In.

I've been a little bit off lately, mainly because the posts I want to do involve putting up a few pictures from recent events and I haven't had a chance to sit at my computer with my camera and my fireworks, so I haven't really written.

Last night we went out to Busboys and Poets because we were too lazy to cook. I had the catfish, which was good but the greens lacked any sort of taste, which is not good. My wife got a veggie burger that appeared to have been fried (?!). Our kids split a pizza, which is exactly what they wanted to do.

Of course, any trip for us to Busboys and Poets means checking out the bookstore's children's books, which are always interesting. I found a book by Gloria Anzaldua, someone whom I never would have suspected would write a children's book. But there it was, and according to Wikipedia, the font of all authoritative knowledge, she has three. It also tells me that she was weeks away from completing her dissertation for UC-Santa Cruz when she died of complications due to diabetes. As someone who's weeks away from completing his dissertation, I can tell you that must have sucked. She died ABD.

I also noticed that Angela Davis has written much more than I thought. I have the incredibly useful Women, Race, and Class, but now it seems she's moved into much more detailed research on prisons and the Prison Economy/Industry that the US supports. I can add that to my list of things to catch up on when I can finally say goodbye to the year 1926.

Hopefully some photos after the weekend or over the weekend. We shall see.

2 comments:

m.a. said...

Busboys and Poets. I have such mixed feelings about the place.

cs said...

My main issue with the place is that for a "Leftie" gathering place, it's outrageously expensive to get anything other than water to drink there. We had two drinks last night -- a glass of wine and a mixed drink -- and it added $18 to the tab. That's ridiculous. In many ways I fear they're just selling a lifestyle -- an image -- to the customers.