18 December 2006

Is it really one week to Christmas?

It's been busy. On Friday I successfully defended my dissertation and successfully did a little but not much drinking in the course of celebrating. Saturday and Sunday meant the final weekend of Xmas tree selling, and I am certainly glad of that. It's pretty tiring having no days off for the past three weeks.

Worst of all, of course, is that I haven't had much of a chance to plug the holes in my Christmas shopping list. I've got some catching up to do, and I'm really not interested in going out on Saturday the 23rd to do it. Might be too late for mail-order, too. I'm thinking perhaps I'll just buy a bunch of popsicle sticks and make everyone some popsicle stick houses with glue and paint and see how that goes. It works for kids.

My wife got me the Gob Iron CD for Christmas, then decided it was too depressing as a Christmas gift and gave it to me early. It's a project by Jay Farrar (Uncle Tupelo and Son Volt) and Anders Parker. The title is "Death Songs for the Living," and it's mainly some traditionals with an original thrown in. If you like the roots rock/folk tradition it's a hell of an album, but it will not cheer you up.

4 comments:

m.a. said...

Interesting! But sad. I'm not finished my dissertation, but I am finished my xmas shopping.

Anonymous said...

HEY! Congrats man! *TOAST* to you!

The woman who recently used her pogo stick on my heart defended her last Wednesday at UMD.

Cheers :)

cs said...

catciao - I'm not sure if that pogo stick thing is good or bad. Could me she set your heart to jumping or she jumped all over your heart.

MA - one project has an absolute deadline, while the other is full of extensions and wiggle room.

mysterygirl! said...

Yay, Dr. Cuff! Congrats! Glad that you have some depressing music to help you ease right into the post-diss let-down. :) I kid, I kid. Yay for you. :)