04 December 2006

Weekend Report: Defenses and Conifers

So Friday came and went, and my wife is now a doctor. She beat me by 14 days (if I pass, that is...). After the defense, a good time was had by all.

Saturday and Sunday meant slinging trees for my son's elementary school, and it was a good two days: brisk but not freezing with clear skies meant we had a lot of foot traffic and happy holiday shoppers looking to support a local school and pick up a tree in the meantime.

You can get a cheaper tree at Home Depot, but Home Depot isn't going to put a phys. ed. instructor in our school or pay for some of our field trips. The tree sale is our school's biggest fundraiser and we hope to sell some 300+ trees by the time it's over. We'll be out there again next weekend, the 9th and 10th, on the corner of 17th and R NW on the patio of the Dupont Italian Kitchen, who have generously donated the space for us to sell trees.

After moving trees all weekend I'm a little sore, but it's that good kind of sore like after a good workout (I seem to remember working out once in the 1990's and it felt like that). I didn't even get a chance to read the Sunday paper.

3 comments:

m.a. said...

You will pass and you will be a two doctor household! Hooray for Cuff's wife and hooray for cuff!

Kristiana said...

Congratulations to you both. I would buy a tree from you but I don't think I can afford gas for the round trip. It would be more then my rent. Good luck!

Reya Mellicker said...

BRAVO to the new doctor in the house. Wow!

As for Home Depot - the trees are so processed they hardly have any kind of liveliness to them, they dry out in a few days and don't have any kind of fragrance. You might as well get a fake tree.

Home Depot was a big supporter of Bush in the last presidential election. I don't shop there.