09 January 2007

How does Banana Republic stay in business?

Early in the fall I did something I almost never do: I bought a pair of pants at Banana Republic. Now I generally avoid Banana Republic mainly because it's very overpriced Gap clothing, but I thought I'd give these pants a shot because I needed some black pants in a hurry. So I plunked down close to sixty dollars for a re-tagged version of Gap khakis. Except the Gap khakis I bought over the summer have worn better than this sorry excuse of partially stitched together fabric I am currently wearing.

Within a few washings the pants had lost that deep black look and faded to an ashy look, and my friends, we don't use harsh detergents in our house. Within two months the inside button that supposedly helps to hold the pants up (I never can figure out why men's dress pants universally have two or perhaps three fastening devices sitting on top of the fly. Perhaps it's so cheaply made shit like these Banana Republic pants have a backup...) came off. Since it's redundant, I didn't bother to reattach it, but it bothers me nonetheless some feature of these pants failed so rapidly.

Of course, a lost inside button is small potatoes compared to what came next. Two weeks ago I wore these pants and I'll be damned if the left front pocket seams haven't started to come undone. So now the pocket begins a good half-inch below where it's supposed to be, and I'm starting to look like I get wardrobe advice from Goodwill Industries.

So the question is, how the hell does Banana Republic stay in business? Shoddy merchandise and high prices should be a recipe for bankruptcy, but I suppose nothing should surprise me in a culture where the brand is more important than the product.

Just wait until I start ragging on Levis.

7 comments:

mysterygirl! said...

You know, I've noticed too that Banana Republic's clothes are surprisingly shoddily made. I'm sorry that you've had this bad pants experience. :( Back to the Gap for us, I guess.

Anonymous said...

It's as if the more you're willing to pay, the more mannequin-like (?) your life must be. Soooo, the jungle pants will never see the garden, let alone the jungle, so it's a way of being cool, in an effete way...not really caring about the intrinsic worthiness of one's purchases. My experience is that people that go at it with zeal regard the likes of Colombia and Marmot sporting goods high, and BR laughable. The same people will buy the hell out of Old Navy, however, the lowest tier of BR and Gap, with complete satisfaction.

Anonymous said...

This pants-related blog post is the most fascinating thing I have ever read on the internet. God bless the technology that makes this possible.

Anonymous said...

Well considering that the Gap is likely to find a buyer for BR because it's the only part of their empire that makes any money (and actually has improved sales over the year ago), I can only say that this confirms my theory that masses don't actually know what they are doing. That being said, I find the BR quality to be fine, it's the fit that I hate.

m.a. said...

I've noticed that many clothiers have shoddily made products. It's just awful. Clothes from the BR that I purchased years ago are still in tip-top shape. The new stuff? A wreck.

What's worse is that you paid 60.00 dollars for those pants. BR would charge a woman 85.00 dollars for the same pants.

Not fair.

Anonymous said...

i don't think it's just banana republic. i bought a winter jacket from j crew only to have a button fall off and a hole rip in the pocket two weeks later. the tweed is also pulling out a bit in some places.

Kristiana said...

My boyfriends levi jeans ripped out starting at the back pocket almost immediately. We feel your pain.