16 June 2006

Splendor in the grass...

We caught the first two acts at Fort Reno last night, Diacritical and Jinxed at Twelve. We had to get the kids home before Gist started up. It was a beautiful night and I must say I enjoyed Jinxed at Twelve, even if they did have a bit of an Echo and the Bunnymen feel to them, as my wife pointed out.

Another odd fact was that they employed three guitars, one bass, and drums. I thought that was a bit of overkill on the guitar area, but their website didn't help me out any. It lists the singer as playing bass, and he was clearly playing a left-handed guitar strung upside down so he could play it right-handed (why bother, I say). The site also lists one member as a keyboardist/trombonist, neither of which was in evidence last night. So I'm assuming maybe the keyboardist/trombonist moved to bass and let the singer switch over to guitar. I don't know. I liked them, though.

Diacritical weren't bad. They had the misfortune to try out call and response lyrics on a crowd that wasn't large enough to overcome the PA even if they'd tried. It was a small early season Fort Reno crowd, and I'm not sure how well call and response ever goes over there -- people are busy eating picnic dinners and in general lounging on the grass.

1 comment:

m.a. said...

Your kids are going to be the coolest. Ever!