20 June 2006

Water Water Everywhere.

My son and I got caught in that monumental downpour this afternoon -- not the first one, but the second one -- as we were on our way to pick up his little sister. About halfway to the park it started pouring. By the time we'd reached the park, we realized our flimsy umbrella was worthless, so I folded it up and we let the rain set the agenda.

It's like jumping in the pool; once you're wet it doesn't really matter anymore and we were indeed soaked, the clothes clinging to the skin and me wishing I'd worn a different shirt. Let's just say my love of anything in the butter food group keeps people from describing me as "chiseled."

Hustling down 19th Street, we followed the floodwaters down the hill, as they eddied up with every curb cut. These momentary pools were perfect for stomping, and I did my best Gene Kelly impersonation, much to the amusement of my son and the horror of a few innocent bystanders.

Luckily for us, the rain stopped while we were picking up the little one, so she got home good and dry, while we made it home a few soggy pounds heavier.

Fortunately it was only water weight, and that's relatively easy to take off.

4 comments:

m.a. said...

I got caught in that downpour and didn't think to do a Gene Kelly impersonation. Excellent for you!

Blue Dog Art said...

What a nice post. When my kids got home there were puddles in the driveway so I let them put on their rainboots and jump in the puddles. They had a blast.

Washington Cube said...

I dunno, Dad. It sounds like a perfect moment to me.

KassyK said...

I got caught in it as well...although you guys sound like yours was more of an adventure...and mine was just annoying. :-)