17 March 2008

Kill Your Television

I don't watch much television. I'm not saying that to brag or condemn those who do watch a lot of television. I'm just stating a fact. I'd love to watch The Office or more college sports or Masterpiece Theater.


We have a twenty or maybe twenty-two inch television tucked into an old wardrobe that we turned into a "media center." It's mainly a place to keep the television where we can shut the door on it so we don't have to stare at the unblinking eye everytime we're in the living room.


We haven't had cable since 1995, mainly because all those channels and a lack of scholarly discipline lead to never doing any work. Especially during college basketball season, when you've got Big Monday, Super Tuesday, etc. coming at you all week long...three games a night...oh my. So no cable. No Columbo. No classic movie channels.

I'm not sure what the problem is, but I don't miss it. I suppose if I were involved in conversations at the office about the latest episode of a particular tv show, I'd feel obliged to watch that show to keep current, but in the absence of that stimulus, I just don't.

I have, however, been subject to about thirty viewings of Madagascar, Finding Nemo, and Toy Story 2 over the past month.

1 comment:

m.a. said...

That's a lot of Nemo.

I don't watch nearly as much television as I used to. I wonder what changed>