30 August 2005

Birthday Party: Insular and Sedate

So today was my wife's birthday. I'm not going to get into details but let's just say it was a round number. A milestone year if you will. Having kids and all, and having just lost our regular babysitter to some place out west called UCLA, I decided it might be best if I just cook some elaborate dinner.

You ever have one of those days where things don't really follow your schedule? So I was late to work, which meant I couldn't duck out early. I spilled mop water as I rushed to clean the kitchen. I had to make an emergency run to the grocery store. Et-friggin-cetera.

However, in the end, I had the following:
  • grilled salmon
  • gratin dauphinois
  • steamed broccoli
  • nectarine tart with home-goddamn-made meringue; yeah I made the shell, too. The whole damn thing in fact.
  • pinot grigio
And you know what? It was damn good. Sorry, CPMC, but no candles. We probably would have fallen asleep and burned the house down. Or our son would have dripped wax everywhere.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

no big deal about the candles. What winery made the pinot grigio? I was thinking about that the other night I used the bathroom (before tinkling with my pee hole heh) and I noticed a nice fruity aroma.

cs said...

I'll have to look up the winery, but I don't think you're the real senator.

Patrick J. Fitzgerald said...

lol Mass, astute observation, ya think? Next time you get a babysitter and wife alone put hot candle was to better use that atmosphere. Or if you are in a rush, you can always pick a branch from a willow tree they love a good snap on the...

Kristiana said...

That is sweet... happy birthday to your wife.