01 November 2005

Halloween, Halloween.

That was good Halloweening last night. We handed out some candy for a little bit then headed out ourselves to the block party at Lanier Place, where they close the street off and many of the houses present some elaborate decorations (although I will say that this year it seemed fewer residents went overboard). Then we came home, handed out candy until about 8:30 p.m., shut off the lights and put the kids to bed. Our son is too little to care really about digging through the candy he received -- in another year or two he'll be accounting for every little "fun size" (read miniscule) piece of candy he gets, but this year he was more interested in handing out candy to trick or treaters than getting candy.

Even with lights out, we still received visitors through 9:30 p.m. At least most of them were in costume. Last year we had lots of teenagers showing up wearing jeans and t-shirts and carrying Safeway bags. Real effort there. My favorites though are the parents who are good and liquored up when they take their kids around the neighborhood looking for candy -- and the parents have their own bag, too.

9 comments:

Cupcakegrrl said...

I used to live near the projects in Boston (the ones where that Charles Stewart shot his wife in the stomach and then said a black guy did it). We often had adults, not in costume, not accompanied by a child, ring the doorbell and ask for candy.

As long as it was within a few weeks of Halloween either way, I'd go along with it.

m.a. said...

When I was little, I preferred to give out candy, too. Your son has the right idea.

Crazy Girl City said...

A few years back, I went out trick or treating with my friend and her two little ones. We both dressed up but were NOT asking for candy hand outs for ourselves. Our dressing up was more of a fun thing with the kids. Anyways, there were several houses that asked me 'where my bag was' and 'why I wasn't trick or treating with my siblings'! Come on now! I was 25 or 26 at the time......not 13.

Miss Penny Lane said...

I am surprised people come up to a house without lights, since that is the universal sign for "Ran Out of Candy" or "Went Out To Dinner To Avoid This Crap."

I went trick or treating with my nephews -- the 3 yr old was Bob the Builder, and the 8 yr old was Darth Vader. Aside from the fact that I love spending time with those boys no matter what we're doing, I have to say trick-or-treating is really no fun anymore when you're an adult. I couldn't wait for it to be over...

Cupcakegrrl said...

Where ARE you in the photo? An unbuilt house with tricky lighting effects? Or some sort of post-modern Aztec temple?

cs said...

Wouldn't you like to know...let's just say it's not on this continent and it's a big iron structure that dominates its landscape.

Anonymous said...

Is it the place that Victor Hugo ate dinner everynight?

(The story being that when the Eiffel Tower was built, Hugo said it was a disgusting blight upon the city. And yet he began to dine at the restaurant there regularly. When asked if he'd changed his opinion, he replied that he still thought the tower was hideous, but the restaurant was the only place in Paris where the view did not include the Eiffel Tower.

Washington Cube said...

I went to see the movie Capote which proved to be a disturbing enough Halloween experience.

Cupcakegrrl said...

BTW- that was me writing about Victor Hugo. I wasn't trying to by mysterious. I must have hit "anonymous" by accident. (I'm dyslexic and the word verification things get me all flustered. I often have to type them several times.)