18 November 2005

Take to the Sky


Tomorrow we will be leaving for California on a not-a-vacation trip. My wife's mother is very ill and we're going to visit her. It's been a long struggle over the past few years with a lot of hope and even more disappointment, but it appears we're dwindling down to end-of-life options. Her mother worked hard her whole life and never planned to retire -- in both senses of the phrase "plan to retire." She felt she'd keep working until...well, she'd just keep working. However, that hasn't been possible and while she'd been relatively energetic the last few years, even that didn't last. This fall has been rough.

As difficult a trip as this one will be, we will also have two young children with us who don't really understand what's happening and quite frankly as far as the older one goes, won't sit still long enough to spend proper time with my mother-in-law. Which means I will most likely have to shepherd the kids around somewhere. But we've been through that before.


The weather of course will be beautiful and not appropriate at all for dying. My mother-in-law worked all her life providing the same critical care she now needs. In some ways she's fortunate to be in the same system in which she used to work; the doctors, nurses, and staff all know her. I don't know. We've had years, ever since the first diagnosis of late-stage cancer, to come to grips with this time, but no one ever really comes to grips with the finality of it.

All you can do is be there.

12 comments:

m.a. said...

Have a safe trip, Mass. Enjoy the time with her and your family.

Best wishes.

Washington Cube said...

No matter how prepared anyone thinks they are ready to accept the outcome, you are never ready for it. I am sure knowing you and the children are nearby will prove a great outlet of comfort for your wife during this sad time.

Anonymous said...

My heart goes out to you and your family. My 80 year old mother's siblings and cousins in her generation have been passing one by one as of late. It is sad with a cousin dying last Sunday and her sister expected to die this weekend.

What can one say about mortality except that it really sucks and
thanks to President Bush's war on taxes the only things we are now guaranteed at birth is death and a stupid U.S. war every 30 years or so...

Have a safe trip.
Peace

Cupcakegrrl said...

I'll be sending you and your family good thoughts, my friend.

Take care.

Kristiana said...

My heart goes out to you and your family too. Take care of each other.

DC Cookie said...

Speechless. I hope the trip and seeing her helps to alleviate some of the pain.

Crazy Girl City said...

Wow. Your family will be in my thoughts.

Megarita said...

Lordy. I'm glad you can all go, at least. Not an easy journey.

Anonymous said...

I think maybe your kids will one day thank you for the opportunity to be there. Even if they don't remember it.

DC Cookie said...

Looks like the entire DC Blog community is in support now. Have a safe trip.

Brandon said...

sorry to hear the news, and that your children's memories of their grandmother are being cut too short.

cs said...

I want to thank everyone who sent out support. My son and I just got back to DC but my daughter and wife are staying another week. It's been a tough week but some good things actually came out of it as bizarre as that may seem. For one thing, my wife and her somewhat estranged brother are now talking to one another.