27 December 2005

Holy Shit, it's the MLA!

The MLA starts today around 3:30 p.m., with the first real sessions getting underway around 5:15 p.m. When not plotting the overthrow of hegemonic patriarchy and compulsory heterosexuality, attendees will be getting drunk, trying to score cheap books in the exhibit hall, or checking email.

As I see it, there are three good sections to start off the conference: Panel 15, "Positively Seventh Street: Washington, DC, in African American Literature and Culture"; Panel 18, "Welcome to the MLA," notable mainly because the president of the Graduate Student Caucus gives an address; and Panel 34a, "Academic Labor: Keywords for Current Conditions." That third panel features some former GSC roustabouts and should be interesting for anyone thinking about issues of the corporate university.

I don't think I'll be getting out of work early enough to attend the 5:15 time slot, but who knows.

At 7:00 p.m, I only see one panel I care about: 46. "Marxist Theory: Between Aesthetics and Politics."

At 8:45 p.m., two sessions: 72. "Salut! A Salute to Jacques Derrida" and 91. "American Realism and American Citizenship." I love Derrida, but the panel could be a mixed bag, with people trying to be more clever than they really are. The American Realism panel could be more useful for my dissertation, although the period is about thirty years too early for me.

And that's just the first day.

7 comments:

m.a. said...

Haha. I love self indulgent smart people. Have fun. The first panels sound great, and I'm not even an Americanist.

I'm barely anything anymore. It still sounds like fun.

Wicketywack said...

Your readers expect a detailed report of each panel's presentation.

Megarita said...

say hi to the president of the grads and tell him Megarita sent you. :)

cs said...

Megarita: I only attended one session...the 7:00 p.m. session on Marxist theory. The paper on Adorno and Heidegger and others was a bit dry.

LB: The report was that I managed to stay awake the whole time...in the past that's been a problem for me.

MA: If it weren't for the MLA many brainiacs wouldn't get their ego quotient fulfilled.

Cupcakegrrl said...

My car broke down before I even got out of Florida, or I might have been tempted to stop...If I mentioned your name, would they let me in?

I agree with LB, though: a full report on each session. Yes, please.

Washington Cube said...

Why was I picturing food fights and toga parties? Oh wait...Animal House. Sorry.

Wicketywack said...

Wait, am I the only one who isn't in grad school with Mass? WTF?