12 February 2006

Catching up a little.

Well. We've been out in California since Friday, February 3rd. My mother-in-law passed away Sunday the 5th. It was peaceful, as far as that goes, but as anyone might guess, it's never easy. I can't really write about it properly at this point, in some ways because so many things happened so quickly, but also due to other more technical considerations: I have almost no access to the internet and what little I do have is on dial-up and I can't abide dial-up. Also I'm using a mac and safari isn't displaying all the blogger options.

Points I'd like to consider: post-death rituals, ways we remember the life not the death, and the business of dying.

However, the entire trip hasn't been dealing with funerals; for one thing, young children won't stand for it. We've had the opportunity to visit many great parks, some with space-age era play structures, like a 4-story tall rocket ship and the tallest slide I've seen in a long time (most slides these days are tame numbers, rarely having their tops out of reach of a parent's hand). This slide was a classic old metal slide that stood about twelve feet tall. Beautiful. I should have brought some wax paper to wax it down...

Photos perhaps when I'm able.

5 comments:

m.a. said...

I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of your mother in law. You take care, okay?

Anonymous said...

Welcome back. You and your posts were missed.

Washington Cube said...

I'm sorry to learn of your wife's loss. No matter how much you think you are prepared for it, the death of a loved one is always a hard hit that resonates in waves for a long, long time. It is good that your wife had you and the children around her during this time.

My oldest childhood friend's mother (and my late mother's good friend) died this past week as well, so today was a funeral for me.

Your readers will be waiting for your return.

Blue Dog Art said...

Very sorry to hear of your mother-in-law's passing. The death of a parent is never easy. My sympathy to you and your family. I'm glad to hear you are getting some good time in with your children inspite of the difficult stuff.

Kristiana said...

My condolences to you and your wife. I am sorry.