02 February 2006

The Door Is Still Closed?

Did anyone else check out the Metro section of yesterday's Post? I know I did. The front page had an article on Metro choosing a new voice for its system. That's all well and good, but I loved the photos accompanying the piece. Here are some photos of the ten finalists:


I didn't realize we were living in Utah. Are you telling me that in a city once known as "Chocolate City," Metro couldn't find any voices that weren't white? I suppose Linda Carducci and Jon Garcia could be stretched to "ethnic" diversity, but in the end what you have are ten white people.

Now I have nothing against white people. In fact, I am one. But I also don't live in some do-dah dream world where the Washington metro area consists of upper northwest, Bethesda, and Old Town.

My wife thinks DC should have taken a page from the NYC cab system, that has celebrities (political, sports, artistic) announcing guidelines for the cabs. She thought DC could have had senators record the announcement. Maybe Barack Obama would have been given a shot.

8 comments:

Washington Cube said...

You've raised an interesting point. I know AOL has celebrity voices saying things you "you've got mail," and you get to choose who you want to hear. I would vote for Barry White (too bad he's dead) telling people to move away from the doors.

m.a. said...

I guess that I've stayed away from the metro voice contest. Perhaps Kojo Nandi could have been the voice of metro. Or is he to "nice sounding?"

Wicketywack said...

On the contrary. I, sir, DO have something against white people.

Megarita said...

Oh CRAP are we in Utah? This makes everything make sense...

Washington Cube said...

Try and drop a little poetry on your blog for Reya's poetry project today:

http://goldpoppy.blogspot.com/

cs said...

Megarita - don't stare too long at the tabernacle.

Lonnie - You've been hanging around 8th and H too much.

MA - Kojo!! a great choice.

Cube - ditto. Barry White as he was on the Simpsons.

Patrick J. Fitzgerald said...

Some of my best friends are subway cars.

Asian Mistress said...

I agree with your point.

My whole issues is...GOD who had to listen to all those tapes and PICK one. I can't even imagine. It's like American Idol: the speaking version (or something like that).