13 April 2006

Drawn ceaselessly into the past...

I'm from a little tiny town somewhere in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania and I'm planning on heading back there this weekend to see some friends, drink a few beers, and hit the overstock stores that dot the landscape.

The place hasn't been the same since the Pennsylvania Rail Road collapsed and the steel industry died. I remember my mother taking me to the old train station to see what bits and pieces they were auctioning off before they tore it down. For years, rusting railcars sat on the tracks in the railyard, where another rail company operated a repair shop until a few years ago. Those cars are all gone now, and there's a huge expanse of empty space between one side of town and another, like a dried out river bed.

Houses there cost next to nothing, comparatively speaking. You could buy a new construction McMansion in one of the new developments for around $250K, or you could get a solid historic building in the center of town for far less. Of course, then you have to figure out what to do with yourself, workwise. There are a lot of retail jobs, so you could fold jeans at the Gap or corral carts at the Wal-Mart.

Still, I love the pastures and the stubby hills and the fact that 15 minutes driving from point to point is considered a long time to be in the car. Also that $1.10 will buy you a draft uptown. I am a cheap cheap bastard. There's a good deal of history there, something I spent a lot of time studying in my young adulthood as I bellied up to bars that had been there since the 19th century.

There are no Starbuck's, no Cosi, no Potbelly's. There's also no 9:30 Club or Black Cat. Mainly, there are friends, family, and memories, and in those three things there's a measure of security.

7 comments:

DC Cookie said...

Sounds like my grandma's cottage just outside of Plattsburgh, NY, after the airforce base closed down. The most peaceful place on earth, right on Lake Champlain, but it would be hell if I had to make a living there...

Wicketywack said...

Rolling Rock or Yuengling?

mysterygirl! said...

I don't have anything clever to comment, but it sounds like it will be a nice visit (and a nice escape from the DC scene). It's good to return to our roots now and then.

cs said...

LB: Ha. Both.

MG!: It's great to visit.

Cookie: You got it, but it's well within driving distance.

Blue Dog Art said...

We are headed to my in-laws in central PA for the weekend. Have a nice visit with family and friends. Hopefully the traffic won't be too bad.

m.a. said...

Have a wonderful time!

Washington Cube said...

I wish you would write some more about the collapsed steel industry and mills of that area and Eastern Ohio and how it has affected those towns...many of them shells themselves because of the loss of work. The multi-generational men who went to work in the same factory, the drifting youth who remain, the stripped land.