05 April 2006

Rooted to the spot.

I was reading through some of my regular blogs the other day, and I picked up this meme that centers on 4 things (as in 4 jobs you've had, etc.). I thought about it and went through what I might answer, and when it got to four places you've lived I realized there have only been four places I've lived in my already long life.

There's the place I was born. There's the place I went to college. There's the place I took my first job. There's the District. That's it. Now within the District, I've moved four times, but that really doesn't count, especially as one move was only down the street.

Maybe this lack of mobility is related to the fact that I had never flown on an airplane until I was 27. Maybe to the fact that my father still lives within ten miles of where he was born and where his ancestors first plopped themselves down in America back 1810 or so. My mother on the other hand lives a grand 40 miles from where her father plopped himself down when he came over from Wales back in 1910 or so (technically, his parents did the plopping as he was very young). To do away with any confusion, let me add that my parents are married and still live in the house I grew up in. The main point is that we never have moved around too much.

2 comments:

Blue Dog Art said...

Ha! I definitely know where you went to college and can probably guess within close proximity your hometown.

DC Cookie said...

Even the people who live all over the world often end up close to where they grew up. You can't take away that first impression...

I wouldn't be surprised if I ended up in Toronto when I'm older.