08 November 2008

Agony.

When you can't put a game away, you get burnt. That's exactly what happened to Penn State at Iowa this afternoon...field goals instead of touchdowns, punts instead of field goals, and two crucial turnovers: one to begin the game and one to set up Iowa's winning drive at the end of the game. I said Penn State would win by at least 24...well, 24 points are how many Iowa scored, so at least that number meant something. Unfortunately, Penn State scored 23.

I didn't do too well in my other calls either, with the exception of the Florida State v. Clemson game, which I pretty much called on nose, a 14 point win for FSU. I suppose the Texas Tech v. OK State game was a "high scoring affair" for both teams, although TT was clearly in charge of that game.

I completely fell flat with USC v. Cal, because I thought USC would pound Cal. And I was had the wrong ACC team dropping out of the Top 25, since UNC beat Ga Tech convincingly. And Alabama escaped Baton Rouge with their unbeaten record intact. Barely.

Really, the only saving grace of the day for me was that Charlie Weis got himself shut out in Boston. I still remember him bragging when he arrived in South Bend that he was an offensive genius...I suppose it's true that genius isn't understood in its own time.

3 comments:

mysterygirl! said...

I'm not surprised at all that you just turned around Penn State's choke job as another reason to whine redundantly about Notre Dame. Notre Dame isn't good. Their loss a hollow victory for you at best. Go do some yoga or something. Shake it off.

Still love ya, Cuff...

cs said...

MG!: When are you going to update your blog? Look, when you're feeling down you'll kick the first available dog...and Charlie Weis is that dog. Don't worry, once he's gone I'll stop hating on the Golden Dome.

Anonymous said...

God, I love good NCAA trash talk on Sunday morning! (Especially about teams I have no personal stake in.)

I was way surprised at the Penn State result. There's something stupid, artificial, and discouraging about (a) the no-ties-allowed rule, (b) the power of a single loss, in the last few seconds, to nuke a team's rank, or (c) both (a) and (b).