26 January 2006

Quick Hit: Street Scene in Santa Barbara

So we were outside a Borders on State Street (if you've never been to Santa Barbara, State Street is the equivalent of M St./Wisconsin Ave in G-town or any other corporatized somewhat upscale urban shopping area -- but State Street is much longer and more eclectic than G-Town), and a live band was performing in front of the store. A crowd had gathered to watch, including this fashion victim:


Now I generally don't do fashion commentary, as my favorite color is gray, but this getup begs for close reading.

First there's the "skirt that looks halfway like an apron over jeans" that I saw more than once on the streets of Santa Barbara. I'm guessing it's some sort of fusion hippie chic. Except you look like you're on your way to your shift at Papa John's.

Then you have the checkered top. It's hard to tell from the pic, but this is thick, like business attire -- the kind of thing you'd wear with nice slacks if you were a receptionist at an upscale dentist's office or a low end lawyer's office. But not with jeans and a skirt. In fact, I can't think of much other than a t-shirt you could wear with jeans and a skirt.

Finally, the boots. These are suede leather moccasin boots. They have tassels on the top. U-G-L-Y unless you star in the community theatre's production of Pocahontas. WTF.

The components are ridiculous, but the ensemble itself is greater than the sum of its parts. If you're looking for an example of synergy, here it is: these components together are far butt uglier than they ever were apart.

However, I have a prediction. Foolish undergrads at Real Estate U, where I work, will be sporting the jeans-skirt look in much the same way that the morons bought into the "bleach striped jeans" look a year or so ago. Mark my words. That and faux fedoras -- with a surf bum twist -- will also be in fashion this summer.

God help us.

10 comments:

Wicketywack said...

Who are you, and what have you done with Mass?



Just kidding. Come on. That chick has a very well-shpaed butt. You can't deny it.

Asian Mistress said...

I don't know whether to agree with you or agree with lonnie.

But, I expect such fashion disasters to take place in DC than CA...tragic.

Kathryn Is So Over said...

Yes, what you see in Cali will def. make its way to the D of C... Sad, isn't it?

Blue Dog Art said...

Even though I constantly ridicule her for doing so, our 24 year-old receptionist shows up in the skirt jeans combo at least once a week. I don't get it either.

m.a. said...

I *heart* your ability to critique and deconstruct everything, Mass.

Wicketywack said...

Fashion disasters wouldn't occur in DC because people dress too conservatively to risk wearing anything one click out of the norm. I'd rather have a city with disasters than the DC uniform of khakis and black overcoat. Yawn ...

A Unique Alias said...

And the jeans are tucked into the boots, something we're seeing out here more and more often.

Yuck.

cs said...

AUA, I missed that detail. Thank you. Once again proving that no reading is exhaustive.

Washington Cube said...

"But, honey, I cannot believe the fashion faux pas that has occurred here. I am only taking this photograph to record this event, so that I will have a visual copy to aid me in my blog reporting."

Do you think she bought it? ^5 Lonnie. FASTASTIMUNDO ASS!!!

Anonymous said...

Kelly Ann Collins watch your back.