04 January 2006

The Tao of Football

I'm exhausted from watching the Orange Bowl. By the end of the game, I was shaking and my shoulders were tensed enough to curl me over. PSU football is about the only game that gets me in this twist. Of course, if they'd run away with it as it looked like they'd do early on, I would have been fine. It's just that nail-biting, expletive-inducing, shiver-generating close game that causes my body so much stress damage. Note to self: reread Tao te Ching.

FSU played very well -- they were clearly more focused and intense. After the first quarter, Penn State's offense played pretty much like they were afraid of mistakes, rather than making plays.

I am not sure how well Bowden and Paterno actually know one another. Maybe very well. Who knows. I do know this: Paterno and Bowden do not share the same values, at least not deeply. Maybe they're both politically reactionary -- although the Paterno Professor at Penn State is Michael Berube, hardly a conservative, and Paterno has given greatly to the library system (even having a wing named after him). FSU consistently hits late, hits out of bounds, and in general takes cheap shots. That's in addition to the trash-talking poor sportsmanship on the field. When an attitude is systemic, look to the leadership: such behavior is either taught or condoned.

It is best to do your work and then withdraw, or so says Lao Tzu.

4 comments:

Washington Cube said...

Better yet, toss some coins and do the I-Ching, then place your bets.

m.a. said...

I turn the game on for a few minutes and thought of you and my other PSU football fan friends.

Wow. I didn't know that Football coaches gave so much. What has Ralph Fridgen done for me lately?

Blue Dog Art said...

Just returned from Miami. Dude, I thought we were all going to have a heart attack right there in Dolphins Stadium. I cannot even begin to describe what it was like to be in attendance at this game. Hopefully, I'll find time to post a recap in the next few days.

Anonymous said...

Joe Pa deserved it....BB and FSU will have more chances in the future. Cheers to the Nittany Lions. :)