20 January 2006

quick one from the road.

Highway 101 is a beautiful thing to drive between Ventura and Santa Barbara. It hugs the coast, offering up the daily views of surfers and the occasional dolphin pod. Of course, further out you get the Channel Islands and a some offshore oil rigs. I've been spending a good bit of time in a hospice in Santa Barbara, watching my wife feed her mother and trying to keep the children from knocking the walls over.

Yesterday and today however the major task was taking care of a closet and drawers full of clothes and shoes that her mother will never again wear. It's a terrible thing for a child to have to go through his or her parent's clothes in that situation. We packed them in the rental and dropped them off at a thrift store. My wife cried the whole drive. My mother-in-law eats and drinks, but barely looks at you when she's even awake. Most of her time she sleeps. She hasn't spoken for quite some time. Her face in fact lacks any sort of affect.

We are coming back to DC Monday the 23rd, but there's so much unresolved out here, and as difficult as it is to sit in room with a parent who can no longer respond to you, it's even more difficult to return to DC and try to go about your business knowing she's lying there.

9 comments:

Wicketywack said...

My god, I'm so sorry.

m.a. said...

Mass, Take care of yourself and your family. I send you my best wishes.

Kristiana said...

That is very sad. I'm sorry.

Washington Cube said...

Been there, done it, and it still makes me cry remembering. Much strength and comfort to your family.

Blue Dog Art said...

My thoughts are with you and your wife.

DC Cookie said...

Is there any way you guys can postpone your return?

cs said...

Cookie, we're back. It was miserable too. More on that later. To shorten the story of why we can't stay out there: we have flexible jobs, but not that flexible.

ALL: thank you so much for the comments. I mean it.

Hospice Ventura County said...

Extra features added for the success in our next future life,thanks for that. I like article was pretty good.Give more info about the hospice.

Hospice Ventura said...

Really advantageous blog for every viewers in a days, every time newly add good topics in this blog regularly that was super. Good progressive posts are added in this blog in daily.