18 September 2006

Busy Weekend.

My wife is finishing her dissertation, and I mean finishing it. I mean writing like mad and needing the weekends to concentrate, so I've been getting the kids out of the house for the past month. This weekend I got ambitious and took two road trips.

Day One.
Baltimore. It'd been probably three or four years since I'd last been in "Charm City," aka the city in which 1 in 10 citizens is a heroin addict, and while it's fun to rip on Balmer, it's really a funky and interesting place. Their train museum is incredible (I haven't been there since it caught fire, though), even if the only time I ever went on a little excursion there my three year old son and several other children were treated to a prostitute finishing up with a john on the side of the tracks...

Anyway, we went to the Baltimore Museum of Art, which by the way will be FREE for everyone beginning October 1. It'd been probably ten years since I'd been to BMA and I'd forgotten what a beautiful building it was. And how stunning the Cone Collection is. One feature that my son enjoyed very much was the 3D virtual tour of the Cone sisters' apartments where they kept their paintings and other artwork. Every wall spot that could hold a picture did hold a picture in their apartments -- even the bathroom walls (a beautiful Matisse hung over the tub...).

The BMA has activities for kids that they call "FunPacks," and one such activity is to get a few dress-up props that match a painting in the collection and then you find the painting and dress up as the painting. My son gave it a try:




The blue apron was missing from his funpack because it needed to be resewn...

Day Two.
Ocean City. Since the weather forecast said it would be around 80 degrees on Sunday I decided to drag the kids off to Ocean City for a last chance to hit the sand and water. We went mini golfing, where I saw a very disturbing sight:



I can tell you that threw my entire game off.

Fortunately, we were able to hit the beach for the bulk of the day.

And still get home in time to rest for school on Monday.

2 comments:

m.a. said...

Awesome. I learned from my dad that one out of ever six resident of Baltimore lives in JAIL.

Awesome. I love my town.

Reya Mellicker said...

I love Baltimore ... the Visionary Arts Museum, too, is fantastic. Statistics don't really describe the city where I went to massage school. It is quirky and lively, full of characters, great bakeries, too.

Your son looks great in that hat!