25 September 2006

A large amount of light finally rushes in...

So let me tell you a little bit about my dissertation. I started in the PhD program in 1995. Yes. Eleven years ago. A little bit of this, a little bit of that, and all of a sudden I'm married, not so interested in writing the dissertation, then a wee bit later a kid, not so interested in writing the dissertation, not so much time free anyway, oh yeah and feeling a bit older and detached from the whole life of the academy.

I love, by the way, the life of the academy.

The point is that between 1998 and 2004 I sort of went to sleep academically. Now it's late 2006 and I'm pretty much awake and not only that I can see the end, and damn it looks good. This week I turn in the final chapter and barring any major requests for changes, it's into the final stretch, which is putting it all together and writing a little introduction...sort of like putting the garnish on the plate.

Then I will refuse to respond to anyone who doesn't address me as "Doctor."

7 comments:

m.a. said...

Oh, Dr. Cuff. Excellent!

Kristiana said...

Congratulations Doctor!

cs said...

I'm not done yet. You can't call me doctor yet. But thanks.

Grad School Reject said...

I think in the meantime you could ask people to call you Master Cuff. I always thought Master [Insert Your Name Here] sounded cooler than Doctor, but I left academia too early to experience either.

Congrats on being so close.

Reya Mellicker said...

Can't wait to call you Dr. Cuff, but I won't yet. I hear you.

Though my formal education never moved beyond my BFA, I have opinions about high level degrees. Why is everyone always in such a hurry to finish them? Is the fastest Ph.D. the smartest? I'm assuming the completion of a Ph.D. is supposed to include the gaining of wisdom, something that is only accumulated over time. Maybe for you, marriage and fatherhood comprises a piece of the wisdom you had to accumulate before you could complete your dissertation.

It's a personal question so ignore if you want to, but ... what's the topic of your dissertation? What's your field??

Congratulations, btw, and bravo. I salute you.

cs said...

The field is early 20th century American lit, primarily Progressive/Leftist/Proletarian literature. The dissertation is a bit narrower than that, focusing on a Leftist magazine's first year and its relation to Nationalism at the time.

More or less.

Blue Dog Art said...

Excellent. The light is seen at the end of the tunnel. I think the fact that you have (almost) accomplished this surrounded by young children makes it all the more satisfying. Good for you!