22 September 2005

Blog War, what is it good for?

It has gotten (remained maybe) downright nasty in the local blogwar that began one day after Adams Morgan Day. The comments that started the whole mess are bizarre, to say the least, and seem to come out of nowhere.

It has degenerated into using real names in place of the common blogger pseudonyms. I think that's bad form and reveals one of three things: 1) the namedropper is classless, 2) the namedropper is pissed to the core, 3) the namedropping has an added significance known only to the parties involved. I won't speculate on the reason here.

Unfortunately, once dropped, names can't be undropped. So tools can pick up on said names and pile on, like hyenas stealing a kill.

Complicating matters are the fake comments from impersonators.

Observing all of this melee, I've made a few conclusions:
  1. If you have a prominent blog, you're bound to attract lovers and haters (others have made this point; I'm not claiming originality).
  2. Some people have nothing better to do than fuck with other people.
  3. Some people do not respond well to pressure exerted by personal attacks.
  4. Blogger meltdowns can be sudden and irrevocable. I remember the whole KAC fiasco, as she deteriorated into a bitter, sniping burnout.
  5. Everything you ever write is evidence. It's all archived and it's all out there. It pays to be as the sage, and melllllooooowww.
  6. Blogging is not life. Life is lived outside of the internet. Unless you're some goofball into everquest or world of warcraft and you buy and sell magic items on ebay.
  7. If I ever come to a blogger happy hour, I'll be the one sitting in the corner facing the door with a can of pepper spray at the ready.

19 comments:

Patrick J. Fitzgerald said...

LOL, classic! "Blog or comment section wars," unlike IM and chatroom wars (citca 1990's) build slowly over time a-massing (no pun intended) pent up feelings and anger eventually reaching a crescendo when all it takes is a spark and thar she BLOWS! Cooler heads like yours and mine are rare in blogotopia. Great post, Woodstein!

Asian Mistress said...

Blog war, schmog war.


Can't we all just get along?

It's sad when fighting resorts to the internet for the world to see.

Anonymous said...

this post has made the wiki

cs said...

Thanks so much folks. As a regular reader of most of the parties involved, I've been somewhat stunned by the events.

I'm wondering if catciao can apply his powers of prognostication to the various outcomes of this battle as well as to the gridiron...

Anonymous said...

Wow Mass seems like you are about to cry. Why is adam relizing he needs some friends. So what if he is getting publicly CRUSHED right know. He did it on his own. When You talk shit u get shit. Sometimes you just gotta let nature takes its course. War sucks I agree expecially this but u know what? It's life. U can either prevent it or not. It usually starts when someone talks shit and happend to be your friend.

Anonymous said...

Well, all i have to say is if this is a war, why is it so one sided?

cs said...

masterb, get some reading comprehension down before you try checking other people's posts.

Forget the spelling, I can get around that, but when you can't even understand what you're reading, I can't help you out.

Kathryn Is So Over said...

Please do come to the next HH, Mass.

IF.
YOU.
DARE.

Great post.

Patrick J. Fitzgerald said...

Mass, we aren't alone in here anymore...meet me on my blog where we can take solace in our mutual comment friend the echo. ;)

Washington Cube said...

That position you described is what I call the "Jesse James seat." Keep your back to the wall and your eye on the door.

JordanBaker said...

Very well put. I too have been stunned by some of the vitriol of late, and yet I can't look away. . .like a horrible, horrible car crash.

Anonymous said...

I guess u can't read between the lines? So your telling me that I need reading comprehension old man? Your feeding into this so called blog war like everyone else. You made a post about it so don't be a hypocrite about it.

Patrick J. Fitzgerald said...

Mass, I think he just got you on that one! ;) *passing kleenex*

cs said...

Look here onanist, I am trained to read between the lines. There's nothing to read in your post. However, maybe you could enlighten me on the hypocrisy.

DC Cookie said...

As a friend of one and an acquaintance of the other, how do you think the Canadian feels? :-)

MasterB: Let me know when 'YOUR' ready for a grammar tutor.

cs said...

Maybe the Canadian feels like going over Niagra Falls in a barrel.

Patrick J. Fitzgerald said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Miss Penny Lane said...

We've been having problems with blogger photos all weekend, too, but blamed my computer. Poor thing, it wasn't even her fault.

Cindy Sheehan was in my restaurant the other night. People treated her like a rock star; it was really weird.

Patrick J. Fitzgerald said...

she should be treated with respect and compassion. i hope no one asked for her autograph!