18 September 2005

It can't be that late, can it?

I just checked the calendar and realized that half of September has slid by already. We're closer to October than we are to August and while part of me is ecstatic about the prospect of turning off the air conditioning that's costing us about 300 bucks a month because the unit is from 1974 (I kid you not), another part of me realizes that another year is getting ready to go by the wayside. Dec 31 may seem a long way off, but once you hit the last week of October, the year accelerates: Halloween is followed quickly by Thanksgiving and by now everyone should realize that Christmas season has expanded to turn all of the time between Thanksgiving and Christmas into one big consumer carnival. And I'm not talking about the fact that Target will probably have their Christmas shit out the day following Halloween. I'm talking specifically about the cycle of holiday parties that friends, family, co-workers, and companies throw between the end of November and December 25. Every weekend becomes spoken for.

It's like being sucked into a vortex. One day you go to bed and it's mid-October. The next thing you know it's early January and you've got two to three long months to recover before spring cleaning.

Saddest of all is that I almost went to bed tonight at 8:30 p.m. I think I may ask for some pastel pants and white belts for Christmas.

1 comment:

Patrick J. Fitzgerald said...

Bring on the white belts and teal leisure suits...winter is fine next to a fire with a bottle of wine and the right woman.