02 September 2005

Visiting Home.

I'm heading back to the ancestral home and taking the family with me for Labor Day weekend. A trip to a remote section of the rust belt allows us to engage in one of our favorite games: what could we buy here if we sold our house in DC? In my hometown it ends up being something like "the north side of that mountain" or "that old industry captain's mansion." The game usually ends when we can't figure out how to get a job up there that doesn't involve serving up some Sheetz MTOs or folding clothes at American Outfitters.

I enjoy visiting because I grew up there and some of my friends remain there. Many have moved away, but interestingly enough, one has since returned. He and his wife (also from there) have moved back after living for a bit in Ohio and New Jersey. I'll have to catch myself up on that story. Plus, I bet I can find the Penn State v. So. Florida game on local TV up there.

I also have a friend and his family returning to town for his parents' 40th anniversary, and my sister and her family will be in town and we'll be celebrating my niece's second birthday. It'll be a very busy weekend, but I've promised my wife she can have all of Saturday to work on her dissertation.


Never underestimate this man.

2 comments:

Patrick J. Fitzgerald said...

Is Joe ready to be put out to pasture yet or does he have one or two more good seasons left in him?

cs said...

Joe may coach as long as he wishes. I expect him to retire about five years after he dies.