27 July 2005

Short Timing: Counting days to vacation

Three days to go. I can't wait to get out of this town, if only for a week. I plan pretty much to sit on the beach and read, every now and then getting up to cool off in the water. I'm thinking of taking The Kite Runner as my opening book. It's been sitting on my shelf for about two months, but I thought I'd tackle Proust's Swann's Way. However, the copy of Proust that I have is an old Modern Library edition and is halfway wrecked as is. It wouldn't stand up to the beach. Besides I'm only 35 pages into it; I'm not terribly committed to it.

Or I could be good and take some dissertation related material with me. It wouldn't be the first time. However, I'm not sure I'm up to reading Kristeva or Irigaray at the beach. Besides, they may not turn out to be that useful for the direction of the chapter, but right now I think they fit. Mainly, I have to get this chapter out or I'm really going to be brushing up against my deadline.

But beyond the beach and said reading materials, I'm sure I'm going to be doing much eating of Thrasher fries, taking my son on rides (which means a trip to Rehoboth), and in general finding ways to spend money that I don't have.

Things I won't be doing: going to the Purple Moose, Brass Balls, Mother Cluckers, Hooters, Dutch Bar, Bearded Clam, Big Peckers, etc. I also won't be buying t-shirts of the same, nor will I be buying t-shirts with confederate flags, slogans about johnsons, or "breathalyzer" themes.

I also will not make the mistake of allowing my brother and his girlfriend to drag me out to Seacrets to drink for approximately six hours before stumbling down Coastal Highway and spending the next day unable to move and wishing I could carve out my insides with a rusty bait knife.

No comments: