12 July 2005

Simpsons v. Family Guy

CNN.com, having been stymied by BushCo's refusal to answer questions about Karl Rove's outing of a CIA operative (and apparently having no idea how to get information the old fashioned way after the white house press secretary -- who's paid to stonewall by the way -- stonewalls them), is running a story on the simmering feud between the Simpsons and the Family Guy, both programs which incidentally run on right-wing tycoon Rupert Murdoch's Fox Network.

I can't say I've really found anything funny about The Family Guy. Sometimes it's mildly amusing, in the same way that watching a person trip over a curb is amusing. Maybe it's because I'm old and the Simpsons represents the old generation and the FG represents the young hip up and coming generation, you know the Pepsi drinkers as opposed to the fuddy duddy Coke drinkers. I'd argue, however, that there's almost no depth to the humor in FG and that stupid toddler with the British accent is more disturbing than funny.

7 comments:

Patrick J. Fitzgerald said...

Kid, Mass is a kid?

Achilles said...

Hmm personally I'm a fan of both but Family Guy did earn enough credit to come back on the airways but the Simpsons have been around longer. I do like Futurama better than the Simpsons though.

cs said...

Blonde: I'm 36 years old. Ancient in blogging terms. Married and have 2 kids, though not a kid. I don't even remember what I said about the "real meaning" of sayings in relationships...oh well.

achilles: futurama I enjoy. I should confess I haven't watched any tv show regularly since my kids were born. Except for Law and Order, and that's only because you have to try real hard not to find it on tv at any given time.

Anonymous said...

Mares eat oats and does eat oats and little lambs eat ivy. A kid'll eat ivy, too. Wouldn't you?

Achilles said...

It is on all the time

Achilles said...

Simpsons will never die

Jeff said...

"[M]ore disturbing than funny" is hitting on what is, in my estimation, a key aspect of the humor that so many find resonant. It's in the Simpsons, too, only less... mean.