31 May 2006

It's just one of those things.

All right. I know this is petty. I really do. But it pisses the living hell out of me everytime I see it.

Over the last decade, it's become more common for doors in office buildings to have handicapped accessible doors, the kind with the buttons that open the door for you if you need the assistance. Perhaps I shouldn't get so bent out of shape about this, but it drives me batty to watch the non-handicapped using these buttons.

Obviously, there are exceptions, like when your hands are full of a chocolate croissant and a starbucks coffee and you're too stupid to turn your back to the door to push it open, but I can't for the life of me figure out why someone with two free hands needs to punch that button rather than push the door open with their arm-muscles, flabby and weak though they may be.

This morning, however, went beyond annoying and entered the realm of what I consider insulting...I approach the door with a guy in his twenties following me and I hold the door open because I am one fucking polite individual. So I'm holding the door and this prick walks up and pounds on that button.

The door is already fucking open.

I looked at the door. And I looked at him. And I just shook my head.

What an asshole.

1 comment:

Blue Dog Art said...

Yeah, I don't understand that either. The only time I've used the button is if I'm navigating through the door with a stroller. Those doors tend to be harder to hold open while contorting one's self and the stroller through.

It also irks me if I hold a door open for someone and they don't bother to say thank you. I ALWAYS say thank you when someone holds a door for me.

Ooh, then there are the people that see you doing the stroller contortion thing and use a different door rather than help me out by grabbing the door. I always help people with strollers through the door.

Hmm, maybe I should do an addendum to yesterday's list on my blog.