17 May 2006

Sometimes I try to figure out wacky people's motivation...

The real news about Bush's poll numbers isn't so much that he has a 33% approval rating, but it's who in the hell are the 33% who approve of him? I'm assuming the Bush family and its hangers-on account for a few percentage points, and of course the scattered fascists who enjoy his version of big government domestic spying, but really can they be that large of a group? I guess at least half of these 33% must be just dyed in the wool hardcore Republicans who would approve of Osama bin Laden's job if he were registered Republican (he's got the credentials for it: maverick businessman, distrust of liberal democracy, desire to impose religious codes via government, believes what he wants is more important than the rule of law...).

Unfortunately the Democrats, who long ago gave up the idea of having original oppositional ideas and now strive simply to be less harmful than Republicans, haven't been able to field anyone with any sort of charisma. Hillary Clinton? She's competent, she's safe and centrist -- so the apologists love her, but she out-Gore's Al Gore in stiffness. Barack Obama? That's so 2012. John Edwards? Charisma, true, but I'm fairly certain a hole in the earth opened up and swallowed him.

The election isn't for another 2.5 years, unless of course Bush suspends elections "to keep protecting the American people," but maybe some good mid-term election shifts this fall will finally give Congress the guts to investigate this criminal administration. Maybe.

7 comments:

Wicketywack said...

Living in DC, we often forget what a truly conservative country we live in, Cuff. Take, for example, the list of university dorm rules from "Liberty University" in Virginia in which rape has equal punishment as consumption of alcohol or "two or more individuals of the opposite sex together in hotel/motel room without proper permission".

These are the types of people who are very suceptible to fascist persuasions. Hell, they're already living in it.

Truly frightening.

m.a. said...

I don't know who should run.

DC Cookie said...

Yet another reminder that I can't vote...

Kristiana said...

No apologists. I am so sick of self-loathing liberal apologists. I mean, I assume they are self loathing. Thats how I make sense of it at least.

mysterygirl! said...

Ah, I like your bin Laden comparison.

I feel like the Republicans could put Satan on their ticket and still win in '08. I suppose some might argue that that's what they've been doing.

Blue Dog Art said...

1. How do you feel about Mark Warner? Seriously?

2. Braintrust's daughter is a student at Liberty U. Explains a lot, yes?

cs said...

Blue Dog: To be honest I don't know much about Warner, although I shouldn't have left him off the list. He probably has a better chance than any of the ones I listed of getting the nomination. Both Carter and Clinton were southern governors...