02 May 2006

Theme inspired by seeing a woman strolling by with a paper.

I can't really help myself, but whenever I see someone with a copy of the Washington Times I automatically shut that person off as a reasonable human being. Actually, I have two reactions: 1. fascist asshole, 2. unwitting dupe. I should try to be less quick to judge. It could be that the person is reading that white supremacist rag for research. Or maybe sports. Or maybe for a masochistic pleasure they might get from reading opinions so far from reality that it inflicts pain on you just to see them in print. Personally, I don't care how crackerjack their sports reporting is, the white supremacist thing just turns me off.

Founded in 1982 following the demise of the Washington Star (and in no way associated with the Star, other than the Star's being generally conservative as well), the Times may have been called Ronald Reagan's favorite newspaper, but that did little to help it sell its brand of craptastic "journalism" to the DC area. To keep it afloat, founder Reverend Sun Myung Moon has had to siphon off close to $2 billion from his Unification Church.

Having an owner who's Korean by birth makes their white supremacist stance all the odder at first glance; but Moon is one goofy whack case. A few years back he exhorted Black pastors to dump their crosses in the trash; he has some interesting views on the Holocaust; and like most multibillionaires, he knows that lots and lots of money talks louder than color these days. Who needs to fight for racial equality when the Senate is providing their offices for ceremonies in which you name yourself as Messiah and get crowned?

13 comments:

m.a. said...

Wow. I didn't know that Sun Myung Moon gave money to that paper. Crazy!

mysterygirl! said...

Yikes. I don't have anything more intelligent to say, but "yikes" still holds, I think...

Anonymous said...

Don't forget that it's only 25 cents vs. the 35-cent Post -- who wants to pay a 40% premium for a foodcourt or subway passtemps?

Anonymous said...

Moon not only funds it with billions he swindled from the Japanese, he BRAGS about using it to to "influence" America.

read some that here.

Moon has more to do with our nation's current political climate than any single person. He has outspent Scaife propping up and molding right wing thought.

Kind of makes wingnuts look a tad bit uninformed and hypocritical when they barf about Soros...don't it?

Anonymous said...

You people are so stupid. I know you would rather spend your lives in blissful ignorance, but there are two sides to every issue, often many more. A look each day at the paper finds a slew of down-the-middle stories, but yes, also a few that are aimed at conservatives. And the paper does cover conservative issues moreso than The Washington Post. But that is the point: The truth is not contained in The Post, nor The Times. It is somewhere in between. Only by taking in both sides can you do what you are supposed to do: Judge for yourself.

m.a. said...

Ad hominem attacks really work! Thank you, anonymous! Now that you've explained to me how indeed to find the elusive [T]ruth, I can go on with my
sad, pathetic life.

cs said...

Cool! I got an anonymous comment! That's either a first or a first in such a long time that I think it's a first.

Just remember, Moon doesn't only fund the paper, he founded and owns it. Not bad: Messiah AND Journalist.

Patrick J. Fitzgerald said...

I hope one day to marry a complete stranger in one of the Reverend's mass weddings.

Wicketywack said...

Also, don't forget that the Reverend Moon's seafood company, the True World Group, supplies most of the US's sushi restaurants with fish. In fact, Tono Sushi in Woodley Park gets 100% of their sushi from Moon. (Link)

Anonymous said...

"I can't really help myself"
Probably because you're a bigot.

"Korean by birth"
They're usually all the same aren't they?

Rebar


P.S. Here's a definition:
1) bigot. The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language: Fourth Edition. 2000.
...One who is strongly partial to one's own group, religion, race, or politics and is intolerant of those who differ.

cs said...

Anon,
You hit the nail on the head. I am a bigot. It's written all over my blog.

As for the Korean by birth comment, the context -- which I hope you understand what I mean when I use the term -- is to identify Moon as someone you wouldn't likely associate with rabid nationalism and racism. Also because I wasn't sure if he was a US citizen or not.

Let me provide a brief list of my bigotries:
1. racist assholes
2. assholes in general
3. religious assholes who think theology is science
4. religious assholes who think their mythologies should set the legal code for civil society
5. libertarians
6. people who hurt children
7. people who drive SUVs*
8. people who urinate in my driveway
9. the rats who scare the living shit out of me when I come home late at night and walk up my back sidewalk

I'm sure I'll think of more.

*without a compelling reason to do so, such as living on a mountaintop with no paved roads. Hauling around fewer than 4 children doesn't count.

Wicketywack said...

You got your first troll!! Congrats. I love how they always comment anonymously.

phinky said...

Moon also owns UPI. The reason why Helen Thomas left UPI was because of the Moonie takeover. UPI used to be the main competition for the AP, but now hardly anyone runs UPI stories anymore.