20 June 2005

Father's Day

Father's Day was a hoot. The day started later than most days. However, at 9 a.m. I received the following: Get Behind Me Satan by the White Stripes and a mug that can be taken apart, allowing you to change the insert that wraps around the mug. My son had colored the current insert at school and it had a sport motif, but he says he's going to draw a picture of the family to put in the mug. He pronounces "mug" with a very hard G at the end.

After lazing about the house a bit and cutting the grass (cutting the grass takes about five minutes, so it's not heavy work), we eventually headed out to the Waterfront to buy some fish. I had no idea that place was such a scene on weekends. First off, it's a bunch of crummy old fake boats that they sell fish from. There's nothing to see. But there we were stuck in traffic trying to get into the parking lot of the place.

On a side note, I don't think there's anything as obnoxious as a Hummer urban tank. So far I've restrained myself, but everytime I see one I want to have a sledgehammer handy.

Having secured the fish and some of what turned out to be the most pathetic mussels I've ever had in my entire life, and having wasted about an hour, we got out of there, returning home to ice the fish, and headed out to the park to enjoy the late afternoon.

[Really I'm still trying to figure out at what point someone's development has to be arrested that he or she would find driving a Hummer cool. They scream tacky classlessness. As much as I find BMWs insufferable, they are ten times -- maybe even twenty times -- more classy. People who drive Hummers simply scream, "I am an emotionally stunted egotistical selfish shitbag." Or as Shrek would say, "Do you think he's compensating for something?"]

Had some good salmon, some good wine, and some really terrible mussels. They were dirty, first off. Really dirty. Then they were tiny. Little tiny fingertip sized. Many were simply not there, or at least not there in recognizable form. Note to self: do not buy mussels at the Waterfront any more.

No comments: