02 June 2005

Looking forward to Saturday

This hasn't happened in a few years, but this Saturday I'm heading to the Black Cat to see Stephen Malkmus. Except to buy my tickets last weekend, I've never been to the new location. I think the last time I saw a show it was at the 9:30 Club and it was Billy Bragg.

In preparation, I watched Slow Century and have put the Pavement/Jicks stuff in heavy rotation. Back in '94 I caught Pavement at the HFStival; they were the first act and the stadium was about 1/8th full, if that. This is a band I drove to Cleveland to see, and discovered that ticket prices are much better in Cleveland. Malmus's solo/Jicks stuff has been a bit hit or miss, and I don't have the new album yet, but still I'm pretty excited to see him again.

Memorable shows I've seen at the Black Cat: Superchunk probably 6 times, Social Distortion, Rancid, Sleater-Kinney (a brilliant show), several Make Up shows -- never a dull one, SeBaDoh -- memorable mainly for all the times Lou Barlow stopped to tune his guitar.

This month it's a feast of good music: Pixies on the 13th, Bloc Party on the 16th, Ted Leo on the 23rd, Sleater-Kinney on the 25th, Wilco on the 26th. I wish I could go to them all. Or even one more of them.

Well, at least I'll get to this show. I wonder what beer is selling for these days at the Black Cat.

No comments: