19 June 2005

Maybe they'll finally burn all Detroit down...

The NBA playoffs are on. I almost care. In related news, Wrestlemania 23 is coming up soon.

I'm trying to think if any other professional sport is more debauched than the NBA. I'm not talking about the behavior of the athletes, since that's been happening forever in all sports. I'm talking really about the fact that in most major pro sports, they change the rules to make the game harder: the NFL makes you get two feet in instead of one; MLB makes you use wood bats and has huge stadiums. Only in the NBA do they loosen the rules to make it easier on the offensive end. Refusing to call walks, giving players five steps, and continuation cheapens the game so much. Likewise, it's only in the NBA that you know pretty regularly the first three quarters of the game don't really matter; it's all phoned in until the fourth quarter.

I think I love basketball too much to like the NBA.

No comments: