28 October 2005

If this happens, I will be there.

CNN is reporting that Rosa Parks might lie in honor at the Capitol. According to the website:

The Senate approved a resolution Thursday allowing her remains to lie in honor in the Rotunda on Sunday and Monday "so that the citizens of the United States may pay their last respects to this great American." The House was expected to consider the resolution Friday.
It's a tremendous honor that I hope the House will follow through on and approve. 50 years ago such a concept would be entirely unimaginable. Hell, 25 years ago it would have been unimaginable. When it comes, progress is slow and never even.

I'm sure this news will bring all sorts of nasty comments from right-wing sites -- the Freepers will probably be reaching for their rifles -- proving once and again that some assholes haven't learned their lessons. I've said it before and I'll say it again: right wingers have fought women's equality, racial equality, class equality and they have -- in the end -- always lost. They are the rearguard for an always receding troglodytic mindset: annoying, but in the end, doomed.

If Parks does lie in honor at the Capitol, she'll be the first woman to do so. And it's only 2005.

4 comments:

The Senator said...

A necessary statement. No one else did so much with one statement, "No."

Miss Penny Lane said...

I really hope this happens. If it does, I'll be there, too...

m.a. said...

I will definitely go to see her.

Washington Cube said...

Well..it's happening, so I guess you'll be there.