18 October 2005

Son Volt this Friday at 930 Club

Earlier this summer I was ecstatic over my visit to the Black Cat to see Stephen Malkmus. Yes, it had been some time since I was out on the town, and the Black Cat was halfway to being a home for me back in the glory years of 1994-1999. I think I saw superchunk there about 152 times. Or maybe a half dozen times. Take your pick.

I bring this up because I'm getting out again, this time to the 9:30 Club to see Son Volt in all their glory. I saw Jay Farrar solo at the Birchmere several years ago, but this'll be the first time to see Son Volt. The latest album, Okemah and the Melody of Riot, is damn good (my favorite song: "6 string belief"). I'm really drawn to Farrar's muddy guitar -- that dirty overdrive is so beautiful.

I have to say I came late to the Uncle Tupelo party, never having heard of the band until about six months before they broke up, but I've been following the unbrotherly offspring, Wilco and Son Volt. Farrar's website doesn't even namecheck Wilco on his list of music links. Tweedy returns the non-favor on the Wilco website links as well. It's funny because they've gone in different directions, with Wilco reaching more toward experimental blendings of folk rock and atmospheric noise and Son Volt sticking close to a stripped down roots rock -- it ought to be time to mend fences at least a little bit.

A nice dream of mine would have the two bands tour together, trading off opening and closing positions, with an encore of Uncle Tupelo reunited. That will happen I'm pretty sure after the original lineup of the Beatles gets back together.

3 comments:

Patrick J. Fitzgerald said...

you ARE a pothead! ;)

cs said...

No, not really, but you'd think so from my music, wouldn't you?

Haven't touched the stuff in years...

m.a. said...

Yes, wouldn't if be nice to see Jeff and Jay together again. Why do breakups give the rest of us so much pain?