08 October 2005

We Are....Penn State!

Oh my lord oh my lord oh my lord.

Can I tell you that first of all I care little about other sports -- I love playing basketball and watching college basketball, but I don't feel it deeply when a team I like wins or loses. I couldn't give half a crap about any pro sports, except maybe for Penguins hockey, but let me tell you Penn State football has been my passion since I was old enough to care about such things.

Sure I remember Blackledge and Shaffer. The Heisman graveyard, where PSU buried both Herschel Walker and Vinny Testeverde in games for the national title. I also remember Kerry Collins and 1994, when an undefeated Penn State team went home without a title, after the voters took pity on poor Tom Osborne, whose Cornhuskers never could win a legit title.

As well I remember the sad sad past few years, where Joe Paterno has suffered through something he hadn't suffered through ever in his 50 years at Penn State: back to back losing seasons. In fact, prior to 1999, Paterno had had only one losing season -- he's had five undefeated seasons -- since taking over in 1966. I happened to be at Penn State in that ugly year of football, 1988.

But let me tell you, tonight PSU stopped OSU when all those nutcase commentators spoke so assuredly that Penn State simply couldn't handle the prime time team that Tressel was bringing. As Mr. Corso would say, "Not so fast..."

Penn State must still do something that looks easier this year than any other year: beat Michigan at the Big House. Unfortunately, Penn State usually doesn't look very good against Michigan, so I am as always worried.

Penn State stands alone in the Big 10 undefeated, with Wisconsin's unspeakable loss to Northwestern.

And by the way, where does ESPN.com get off by leading their college coverage with Texas winning against an unranked opponent? Hello. Oklahoma doesn't have a winning record this year -- in fact, they have the worst overall recored in the Big 12 --, but I guess in the Big 12, beating anyone is a big deal. At least Maisel realizes it's no milestone to beat Oklahoma this year.

2 comments:

Wicketywack said...

Thanks for the comment. I guess we're neighbors!

Patrick J. Fitzgerald said...

As I predicted, Joe Pa snatched victory from the over confident Buckeyes. I am sad to report that the Swami pulled a groin muscle and thus his chakras only delivered an 11-5 record.