03 October 2005

Where to start, where to start...



What a news day. First, Bush picks an extra from some David Bowie tribute band to be his next Supreme Court nominee. According to CNN, in 1996, Bush spoke glowingly of Ms. Miers:
He articulated his high regard for her more memorably during a 1996 awards
ceremony when he called her "a pit bull in size 6 shoes."
I wonder if anyone knows John Roberts's shoe size?

Then I find out August Wilson is dead. Last year I was at the Arena Stage to see Wilson's The Piano Lesson, and it was a powerful play, probably the best play Arena put on last season. His vision alone -- a ten play cycle of Black American life in the 20th century -- puts him conceptually in the same league as Eugene O'Neill, who worked the same idea with Irish Americans.

To top it off, in Sunday's Post there's this article about attitudes toward climate change, which includes this gem:

The new poll found that relatively few Americans saw the recent storms as God's work, and only a fraction of those said the storms were divine punishment.

About one in four Americans -- 23 percent -- viewed the storms as "deliberate acts of God."


Excuse me, but how do you go from "relatively few" to nearly 1/4 of the population? Furthermore, why is it that nearly 250 years since the Enlightenment as a culture we're still so superstitious? If these dark-age morons don't throw all notions of a progress narrative out the window, I don't know what will. Where's Voltaire when you need him? Or Thomas Paine. Please.

And I don't even want to start in on this story...

3 comments:

Cupcakegrrl said...

On my way to work, I was listening to Ms. Miers and thought she sounded peculiar. It is quite possible that the size 6 shoes are too tight, pinching her feet and causing her to wear that expression of alien alarm, as well as speaking in raspy, squeaky tones. I am more worried about what she has to say, though, than either of the aforementioned aspects. She's the gal who's advised Bush on such murky legal triumphs as war on Iraq and Guantanamo.

At which point, I find it perfectly rational to turn to Jesus in supplication for assistance. Where else could it come from? And perhaps the 1:4 ratio comes from a logical response to the global situation, not a superstitious one. Mass, if you were God, wouldn't you be pissed, too?

cs said...

If I were God, you can bet Cheney would get his own circle of hell.

Miss Penny Lane said...

The McMansions going up in Chevy Chase are obnoxious, at best. I know exactly where that house on Leland is; I just love how that woman giving the tour of her house is all "People walk by and they're like, 'Look at how huge this house is!' And I just don't see it." Take off your effing blinders, Dollface!

My brother and his family live a block over, and the number of these McMansions on their block and in their neighborhood is getting really out of control. The thing I love(d) about Chevy Chase Village was the variety of homes: some small bungalows, some larger 2 story homes, etc. Now the bungalows are dwarfed and the owners are left feeling like they need to upgrade. The McMansions are generic and lack any charm whatsoever.