17 October 2005

Remembrance of Things Past

Several years ago, I was very very broke. I think it was sometime around 1995. I sold a large amount of my CDs for something like 3 bucks each. Most of them were from my classic rock collection: all my Hendrix, Doors, Grateful Dead, and Pink Floyd included. I refused to part with my Rolling Stones, Neil Young, Bob Dylan, or The Who.

Over the years I've missed those CDs a little bit, though not enough to go out and restock. However, lately I've seriously considered a repurchase of Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon. I figure there's gotta be used copies in cd shops everywhere.

I also used to have the album in vinyl format, but what happened to the bulk of my vinyl collection is another story altogether...

4 comments:

Don said...

used copies in cd shops

Not of Dark Side of the Moon. Once you get a copy you have to keep it for life. It's the law. I guess you got away with it, this time.

Patrick J. Fitzgerald said...

no Doors, no Hendrix? Good God, mon, get a life and replacement CDs!

Cupcakegrrl said...

I agree with Catciao entirely: replace those CDs! You owe it to your children, man! If they don't learn it at home, they might learn at other people's houses that the music of our generation was Air Supply or (shudder!) Dan Folgelberg.

Now, my CD collection staples are limited to Stevie Nicks (Bella Donna and Wild Heart), the Cars Greatest Hits, and Abba Gold. That's not much of a legacy to pass on, but I'm childless and my dogs have little interest in music. Although I did have a Schipperke once who would howl along to Mozart in a way that implied true enjoyment.

Schipperkes are very different sorts of dogs, though. And if I had to do it over again, I'd be playing Dark Side of the Moon for that dog, just in case.

Washington Cube said...

Head out to Joe's Record Paradise in Rockville to replace them all.