12 October 2005

The state I'm in.

At 36, I find my legs stiff in the mornings.
I have an ache in my shoulder that's lasted for 1.5 years.
Weight clings to me and I can't shake it free.

I drink less than I did five years ago.
I have less hair than I did five years ago, but what remains is stubborn.
My knees and ankles do not enjoy two hours of full court basketball.
I still bend them to my will.

I despair at ignorance and see evidence of more everyday.

Day by day objects multiply in the house:
children's toys, cords for gadgets, photocopies, loose mail, lemons hard as rocks.
Dust gathers in corners and grows to threatening proportions.
Five year old boys have trouble aiming at toilets.
It's easy to throw the daily detritus on the counter and shake that burden loose for a time.

Soon we are overwhelmed with possessions that aren't worth having.

Before I knew her, my wife got a cat from the animal shelter in San Francisco.
Fifteen years later, she hardly notices the cat now.
I feel somewhat bad that I'm waiting for our cat to die so I can get rid of the litterbox.
I have other uses for that space.
The cat curls against my legs every night.

2 comments:

Cupcakegrrl said...

Nice post. Liked the circle. And liked the smaller focus. Reminded me, somehow, of St Teresa, serving God through the small matters of housework.

I am grateful to the friend who friend taught me the Law of Unexpanding Possession Density, which states that new objects brought into the house from elsewhere mandate the removal of an equal number of other objects.

Otherwise, you're doomed.

Although there are those who would point out that all the other ills would seem less vexing if you changed the facts of line #4...

Patrick J. Fitzgerald said...

Excellent post! Your writing leaves me a pale shade green with envy and cup cake wows me with her deep insight.