23 October 2005

Weekend in Review: Return of the Repressed Theme

The Son Volt show was well worth the time, expense, and effort and last-minute anxiety it took to find a babysitter. The band played for two hours -- from 11:30 until 1:30 -- and Farrar actually looked like he was enjoying himself, which isn't always the case. Beautiful time, including a bizarre cover of the Williams/Clash song "Armagiddeon Time" (I say Clash in here because damnit that's probably the reference for most US listeners) devoid of any hint of reggae -- straight ahead fast rock.

Of course, while getting to bed at 3 a.m. may be usual for some of the younger set out there, I am not used to it, especially as two kids don't come with snooze alarms. So at 7 a.m. my son was insisting I make him pancakes, although I will say I distracted him with a book and he did let me off the hook until 8 a.m., so maybe there's a snooze alarm there after all.

Saturday meant the Smithsonian and the American Indian Museum for starters, with a reunion of sorts with old friends. You see, it was the Georgetown Law School's class of 1995 10 yr reunion, and...I was roommates with a graduate and knew a few others because of that, so we all have kids and we met up for a morning of museums. The cafeteria at the NMAI is damn good, although nothing's cheap. Except for me.

After the group went their separate ways, we headed over to the National Gallery of Art, where my son insisted we see the Seurat (I'm not kidding) and the "Mickey Mouse" painting (the Lichtenstein "Look Mickey" in the basement of the East Building. We also picked up a snack at their Concourse Cafe, where I discovered that an Honest Tea would cost me $3.25. I did not buy it. I told you, I'm cheap.

Saturday night brought great solace to me, as the Penn State Nittany Lions walloped the hapless Illinois Fighting Illini. No big surprise, except for the score, since PSU rarely runs a high-powered offense and also rarely runs up scores -- all the scoring came in the first half, with PSU scrubbing it in the 2nd. Ah, if only Lloyd Carr didn't have the power to reset game clocks, we'd be 8-0. Ugh.

No comments: