06 September 2007

My bike is out of commission...

So yesterday I'm running a few lunchtime errands...I park my bike outside a shop, I take care of the.business, and when I return, the rear tire is flat like the Eastern Shore. For those of you unaware of such things, it's no fun pushing a disabled bike around town in the heat and humidity.

When I get it home, I zip the tire off, find an inch-long thin spear of metal sticking through the tire and tube. I patch it up, inflate, deflate, inflate, everything seems to be ok, so I put the tire back on, being o-so-careful that it's balanced properly, and...

I overtighten the damn skewer, stripping the nut and rendering my work useless, especially as it's after seven p.m., City Bikes is closed and no I don't happen to keep extra sets lying around the house.

So I'm on foot today.

Man it's so much slower.

2 comments:

m.a. said...

And hotter!

Foilwoman said...

I hope you have your bike fixed now. I hate breakdowns, mainly because it takes me forever to fix them. I wish I were mechanical.